Sunday, December 6, 2020

Fave Sci-Fi Mass-Market Paperback Covers

 



My love of mass-market paperbacks is strong, and they are my preferred delivery system for literature. I love the books' size, and their covers tend to trend on the lurid or psychedelic, especially with the New Wave Science Fiction I love so much. These books tend to be difficult to synopsize easily, and would often get themselves Yves Tanguy-style paintings. 

I thought I'd share some with you; they've been on my mind a lot, and I have been going to them for inspiration. 

Enjoy (continue past break)


Rudy Wurlitzer, screenwriter of Two-Lane Blacktop and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

If you don't know what movie this book inspired, you have to turn in your sci-fi fan license....


Supposedly, this book was one of Jimi Hendrix's favorites, and a partial inspiration for the song "Purple Haze."


Leo & Diane Dillon channel Bosch for Uncle Harlan....


The inspiration for Yoyodyne in Buckaroo Banzai....




It's an Alfred Bester triple-play! 



Looooooove these legs in their tight leggings. They have nothing to do with the novel, but the book's still great. Once you get over that there's no hot babes in red latex leggings showing up...

One of the best books you've never heard of, with a cover by the late, great Ron Cobb (R.I.P). 
I reviewed the novel for the site RevolutionSF.com, but the link doesn't seem to be working. Luckily, author Arthur Byron Cover (pronounced Coh-veh) has reprinted the essay at his own site, LINK HERE. Buy his books, he rules!






No comments:

Post a Comment